Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Teen Girls Week '08

Wow! How do I even start to tell of the amazing week I had at camp! It would take too long to tell it all! CUMCITO is a camp for inner-city youth of Kansas City, run by the City Union Mission. It's in Warsaw, Missouri, near Lake Truman and Lake of the Ozarks. The camp has many weeks, each geared for different age groups- teen girls, teen boys, preteen, juniors, primary, tot lot (little ones)! I worked at CUMCITO for about five summers back around 1995-2000, and it was just so so so fun to go back this summer! My best friend since I was born, Jenn, was the director of teen girls week this year and asked me to be her assistant director. I couldn't believe that it actually worked out for me to go and waited months and months for the week to finally come! I left Erie Friday morning to meet my parents in Kansas City. We spent the day together, shopping, saw Wall-E, ate bbq and lots of Sonic!!! They took me down to camp Saturday afternoon, and my week started!

We spent Saturday night, Sunday, and Monday morning with all the camp staff getting ready for campers to come Monday around lunch time. There were many meetings, schedule explanations, prayer times, worship times, even some s'mores!

Here is Jenn and me on the Craft Hall porch, waiting on campers to arrive. We have pictures very similar to this from many different times in our lives at different camps- 3 years old at Pine Cove in Texas, 20 years old at Pine Cove as staff, and others!

Staff chapel time- worshipping together, praying together, preparing for our girls.The girls all come down from KC on a school bus, we jump and scream and cheer when they pull in and make a HUGE deal of their arrival! After lunch and cabin assignments are done, we all head right to the pool for our first, of MANY, swim time! The girls love swim times. These 13-16 year olds act like 8 year olds in the pool, playing until they are too tired to move!


CUMCITO has a lake where many activities take place- the lame trampoline/blob, canoeing, paddle boats, camping, fishing, swimming.
The chapel, where we have camp sings, worship, chapel speakers, teaching, awards, choir practice, and anything else that needs to be in air conditioning! The girls get to experience many activities that are not a normal part of their lives. These include trust activities, crafts, beautification of camp grounds (working in flower beds), cooking, fishing, archery, GPS scavenger hunts, choir, swim lessons, overnight camping, s'mores, and much much more.

We usually take the girls to Lake Truman for one afternoon to swim at the beach and have a picnic dinner. This year (and last year) the lake was so flooded that there were not beaches. We went out for the picnic dinner only. This picture shows the flooded lake, the tree tops that are showing should be full trees, the bathroom in the distance should be totally accessible, there is a beach and volleyball area under water here too.Friday night, everyone gets all dressed up, does their hair and makeup for the first time all week, and we have a banquet. Some of the girls go all out for this banquet! It's a lot of fun to see them looking their best! We have a nice dinner and go to the chapel for the Awards Ceremy, the choir sings, and we have our final chapel.
The girls leave Saturday morning, and the staff have their final prayer/share time together. Then everyone packs up and heads out. I can't even express how great it was to be back this year. I have offically become a part of the Teen Girls camp team and will hopefully be going back next summer. I'm trying to convince Drew to go with me, I know we have jobs that he can fill! Keep these girls in your prayers as they are back in real life, not usually good life situations, but God is faithful and He is in control!
Oh, I forgot to mention- there were SO many bugs! I found two ticks crawling up my leg and one bit into my ankel the second day at camp! I then spent the rest of the week feeling creepy and crawling and COVERED in bug spray! Most staff had ticks at one point during the week and even now, little specks that catch my eye make me think they are ticks!

3 comments:

The Wells Family-Jason, Gwen, Paige, and Lane said...

Carrie, it sounds like you had an awesome time! It makes me want to go to camp. The "blob" thing in the lake looks like so much fun!

I think you should definitely talk Drew into going next year. How could he pass up an opportunity like that?

Joann said...

Great job sharing the week with us; thanks so much!

Jennifer @ Diving In said...

What a good role model you are for these girls! And it sounds like you had a blast doing it :)