Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Boogity, boogity, boogity... let's go racin' boys!

Last weekend, Lake Erie Speedway, a NASCAR sanctioned race track, held the Race of Champions. This annual event brings in famous drivers from the past, present, and future. The drivers this year were Rusty Wallace, Dave Blaney, Joey Logano, Greg Biffle, and .... CLINT BOWYER! For those of you not from Emporia, Clint went to high school with Kim and me. It is so very cool to have that connection to a Cup Racer! So when we heard he was going to be here, we got tickets to the race. We later found out that the company Drew works for, Sterling Dula and Kane Screens, recently started sponsoring a local driver and car. The local drivers volunteer their cars to be raced by the visiting cup drivers. Guess whose car Clint was going to drive?! The Sterling car! We got Pit Passes from work so we could be back with the crew, car, and, hopefully, talk to Clint. We met the crew and saw the car before any races started- there were six different types of cars racing that night, so we thought we were in for a long night. The "champions" as they were called, arrived to check out their cars and meet crews. This is Clint and local driver Greg looking at the car.We were able to talk to Clint and have him autograph our program while he was in the pit. The crew was impressed that we went to high school together. I did get the typical "You're not in Kansas anymore!" and "How's Toto?" when they found out that I am from Kansas. Clint and I never met in high school, but he did remembered Kim. I'm not sure why we didn't get a picture with him, but I'm at least in a picture with him- that's the back of my head!The local driver, Clint, and two guys in the crew.We also saw Joey L0gano, he is a very skinny guy!After the champions got fitted in the cars, they left for a press conference before they raced. Unfortunately, the rest of the night was rained out, it just poured and poured! We had a great time though and can't wait to go back for some real racing!

2 comments:

Kim for the Kings said...

Wow! A famous person knows who I am! That's got to count for something, right?! LOL! I wish you could've seen my face when I read your post. I couldn't believe you mentioned me to Clint!

Jennifer @ Diving In said...

Still love your hair - cute side shot!